Job ID: 235527256
5 - 10 years
United Aluminum Corporation, a specialty rolling mill in North Haven, CT, with unique rolling, annealing, and slitting capabilities, has produced Custom Rolled ® Aluminum Coil since 1915.
United Aluminum has an opportunity for a Plant Electrician reporting to the Maintenance Manager.
Plant Electrician is a “working electrician” with limited work group leader responsibilities. Will be expected to perform skilled journey-level work in construction, maintenance, and repair of electrical and electronic equipment, apparatus, and fixtures in an industrial aluminum processing plant where heavy manufacturing equipment is used.
The position requires strong troubleshooting skills to diagnose and correct electrical problems of heavy manufacturing equipment, utilizing hydraulics, pneumatics, and automated equipment utilizing 480vac, VFD, and PLCs.
Responsibilities of Plant Electrician
May be responsible to perform a combination of the following duties based upon job assignment:
- Inspect, maintain, repair, and overhaul electro-mechanical and solid state electrical equipment using a variety of electrical test equipment, meters, and powered and non-powered tools.
- Provide preventive and predictive maintenance of the electrical systems; conduct daily rounds and readings.
- Install new electrical and electronic equipment and electrical wiring according to the National Electrical Code and company electrical standards.
- Maintain and repair electrical and electronic systems used in the facility, including its associated equipment, variable frequency drives (VFD), drives, and controls.
- Perform high voltage switching and operate generators in support of operations.
- Responsible for station lockout/tagout procedures as mandated by company policy.
- Work safely and cooperatively with co-workers, supervisors and outside contractors.
- Lead a work party in performing maintenance or repair work.
- Comply with and practice proper equipment clearance procedures.
- Perform all work in compliance with applicable codes, standards, safety and environment regulations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Treat all with dignity, respect, and courtesy.
General Qualifications - Skills / Competencies / Knowledge :
- Methods, equipment, and materials used in the electrical trade.
- Health, safety, and environmental laws and regulations.
- Strong understanding of applicable electrical and other maintenance related laws, codes, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Basic First Aid procedures.
- Principles of electronic theory as applied to electrical and electronic circuits, wiring, and electrical equipment used in power generation.
- Ability to read electrical schematics, blueprints, shop drawings, electrical prints, wiring diagrams, and nameplates.
- Knowledge of single phase and three phase AC circuits.
- Ability to use ladders, scaffolding, and/or a scissor lift while performing job duties.
- Ability to work with power tools, small motorized equipment, and other service vehicles.
- Work independently with little direction.
- Team player and highly self-motivated individual.
- Ability to work overtime, weekends, holidays, and on-call to meet the facility’s need for any emergency repairs, as well as for routine preventive maintenance during off peak production periods.
- Good communication skills and ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Theory of operation and use of Programmable Logic Control (PLC) units and other computer-based equipment.
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
- Install, program, and troubleshoot PLC based equipment.
Degrees / Certificates / License Experience required:
- Connecticut E-2 (or preferably E-1) Electrical License
- 5+ years of demonstrated relevant industrial plant or outside contractor experience performing a wide variety of maintenance and operational tasks servicing comparable heavy industrial equipment
- Strong troubleshooting skills to diagnose and correct electrical problems of heavy manufacturing machinery.
- Ability to inspect, maintain, repair, and overhaul electromechanical and solid state electrical equipment using a variety of electrical test equipment, meters, powered and non-powered tools, and equipment.
- High School diploma or GED equivalent.
Physical Requirements / Working Conditions
- Requires climbing, standing, bending, and lifting heavy objects in potentially awkward and confined spaces using proper lifting and rigging techniques.
- Requires ability to walk, reach, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and regularly lift and/or move equipment weighing up to 50 lbs., and occasionally lift and/or move heavy objects in excess of 75 lbs. utilizing proper tools and leverage methods.
- Use of personal protective device equipment (PPD), as required to work near heavy machinery with moving parts and high voltage equipment, and, if appropriate, for exposure to fumes, dust, heat, and high levels of vibration.
- Use of ear protection PPD, as required for exposure to high noise levels.
- Able and willing to work outdoors in all weather conditions, sometimes for extended periods of time, including working at heights in adverse weather conditions.
Competitive salary, excellent family benefits including comprehensive medical/dental, life, disability, and 401K; a modern, clean facility; professional and friendly work environment.